19   67
12   109
32   122
21   123
13   131
18   128

The Pursuit of the Perfect Photo

There’s no denying we live in a time where everything we do, everything we see is accompanied by a photo taking session. We live in a digital age, where sharing everything over the internet has become as natural as brushing your teeth in the morning. From a perfectly iced cupcake, your freshly manicured nails to posing next to that must-see holiday monument, we want the world to see. We want people to believe we live that luxury life portrayed by those perfect pictures.

However the truth is, these scenarios aren’t always as perfect as they seem. The cupcake you ate was dry, your nail polish chipped after one day and you had to push your way through miles of tourists finding the ideal position to not even appreciate your surroundings.

Does this mean that every photo is a lie? Unrealistic portrayals of life we use to trick the world into thinking we’ve made it? And if so, what does that mean for bloggers?

Photo of Soaked in Luxury t-shirt from TK Maxx, Boohoo mom jeans and Primark "Gucci" belt

The blogosphere is filled with content creators who waltz down empty picturesque streets in their latest ootd. We seemingly devour cupcakes at the latest cafe hotspot without another single person in sight and pose like we’re supermodels at LFW.

I’m certainly guilty of many blogger photography foibles and these pictures highlight them all. Taken in one of Glasgow’s most popular tourist destinations the Kelvingrove Museum, you could be fooled into thinking I was the only one there. Posing and pouting next to each painting, it’s as if I’ve got my own personal art collection.

The reality of this shoot involved a lot of loitering (probably to the point of suspicion from near-by security guards) and waiting for people to move so I could quickly run into place. If someone suddenly popped into frame then I would take the photo again and again until it was right. Whether it’s waiting for people to pass by or waking up at the crack of dawn to beat the queues, bloggers will do anything to make sure photo focus is on them.

What about all the posing?! My laptop has hundreds of photos from different shoots with only 10-15 making the final perfect pose cut. I could show you many photos with my hair all over my face and my body in weird unattractive angles. I have several images of that ‘stepping off the pavement’ pose where I’m yelling CAR as I quickly dash away. Let’s not forget after all of this, each photo is edited and filtered, sometimes within in an inch of its life, before being published.

So are bloggers liars?!

Are we promoting a lifestyle that is completely fake and in no way achievable? Furthermore, why do we pursue the perfect picture?

I’ll be completely honest and reveal it’s a purely selfish reason that is centred on one word. Distraction. All these things are just another element that can distract the reader from something we have worked hard to put together. No one is going to notice my cute mom jeans, if there’s screaming children on a school trip behind me. Who will see the meticulous thought behind each chosen accessory when I’m trying to not get run over. No one will want to drink that fancy rose/matcha/creamy coffee if my polish is chipped and my nails discoloured.

The fact is every blog post involves a myriad of steps that can take days to sort out. We wake up super early to apply makeup and hair. We spend hours setting up photo flatlays or travelling to carefully researched destinations. Finally, we write what is hopefully interesting content to go alongside all those photos that need SEO optimisation.

Ultimately, the pursuit of the perfect picture is a result of wanting recognition for our hard work. We’re proud of our content and I don’t think there’s anything wrong, or more importantly deceiving about that!

Outfit of the Day:

T-shirt – Soaked in Luxury (TK Maxx)

Mom Jeans – Boohoo (£25)

Silver Heels – Boohoo (£8)

Orange Clutch – Coccinelle

Floral Red Headband – Primark (£2)

Watch – Adexe London (15% with code LOVEAFFAIRB15)

1. March 11, 2018 / 8:24 am

Well said! It’s easy to get sucked in to thinking everyone has the perfect life but me. It is easy to forget that the photos we see have been meticulously planned and retaken multiple times. I do worry that young people are given an unrealistic view of the world. Much like seeing models in magazines.

March 17, 2018 / 3:24 pm

Definitely. I think it can be so deceiving for young people to see a constant stream of fancy pictures and think that it’s real life. I think as a blogger you have to be honest about the reality of how these photos are taken and be open about how hard it can be to get the “perfect” photo! x

2. March 11, 2018 / 9:00 am

I swear that it’s damn near impossible to take the perfect picture – people have no idea how hard bloggers work for it! x

March 17, 2018 / 3:26 pm

Totally agree. Plus half the photos I do publish I’m still not happy with but I’m not getting any younger and photos need to be taken. Blogging is hard work and people don’t often see that!

3. March 11, 2018 / 9:46 am

So true babe. I’m a sucker for thinking their lives are better and there is so much work into my pictures I feel like a lie. It’s so true what you said and it’s a great post to show the hard work we do put in x

March 17, 2018 / 3:28 pm

Me too. Even when I know how much effort I put into photos, I look at other bloggers and think wow and honestly get a little bit jealous! It’s just a natural reaction but I think it is important that people recognise we do it because we love blogging and blogging isn’t easy. xx

4. March 11, 2018 / 2:38 pm

I do try and make it clear I like my photo’s to look perfect but that doesn’t mean life it, I see photography as an art form I think it’s the captions maybe can be a little misleading but it is nice to switch it up sometimes and have the imperfect photos too.
    Lots of love!
    Alicia

March 17, 2018 / 3:33 pm

Exactly! It is a form of art and for that reason there is nothing wrong with putting in as much effort as we do to get the perfect picture. I definitely think captions can either make it better or worse. An honest caption to how a pic was really achieved can really lighten the mood but pretending like everything is sunshine and rainbows 24/7 is misleading! xx

March 17, 2018 / 3:35 pm

Thank you! They’re so comfy. £25 from Boohoo! xx

5. March 11, 2018 / 7:28 pm

If you’re a blogger you must know that these gorgeous snaps are fully curated, like your Instagram feed and that it takes a lot of hard work. I recently haven’t been able to get a single good photo outfit wise because of so many factors and it’s crazy annoying!

March 17, 2018 / 3:42 pm

Ahhh we are all such perfectionists aren’t we? I bet you most of the photos we take people think look great but to us we just notice all these little things we don’t like! I know at least half of these photos in this post bug me but I just scroll past quickly and don’t look haha. xx

6. March 11, 2018 / 8:09 pm

I can so relate to this post! Every single shot is like a movie scenario in itself. So much to take into account, so many things to prepare and look out for. But I think people now know what each picture entails. Some pictures might be misleading with really high expectations but I think that is mainly due to the lack of comprehension and knowledge about blogging: it takes a lot of work, even for one tiny picture! xx corinne

March 17, 2018 / 3:44 pm

Isn’t it?! I honestly get anxiety before every photo shoot and not because I’m in public but because I worry I won’t get any photos and that stresses me out big time! I definitely think people are becoming more aware that bloggers create photos as a form of art and not to mislead which is really great to know. xx

7. March 11, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Such a great honest post about the hard work put into getting the perfect shot! Love your photos by the way they are well worth the suspicion of the security guard 😃

Melanie | http://www.frasersfunhouse.com

March 17, 2018 / 3:45 pm

Thank you! Yeah I kept making eye contact with him to, as I was checking if he was looking and definitely made the whole situation worse haha. xx

8. March 12, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Can totally relate! I can wait for hours just to get the right shot and try took ignore the onlookers.

March 17, 2018 / 3:46 pm

It’s so frustrating isn’t it? The effort we put in and then the actual photo bit can take so long because we’ve invested so much in this one pic! x

9. Heather
    March 12, 2018 / 3:13 pm

First of all I just want to say you are absolutely stunning!
    Secondly, I could never be a fashion blogger, however I have wanted to dive into this side of blogging. But confidence is low and I have no patience to get the perfect shot.

Heather xo | http://www.xhighlandbeauty.co.uk

March 17, 2018 / 3:49 pm

Thank you!! If it’s something you’d like to try you should definitely give it a go. I hated it at first, I was so embarrassed and would try to find really secluded spots so people wouldn’t stare. Now though, even though I get a little awkward when people stop and watch, I think sod it, I want my pics! Plus if they wanted to they could ask what I’m doing and maybe that’s a potential follower haha. xx

10. March 14, 2018 / 11:07 am

i really struggle taking good outfit shots for the blog!
    i love the colour palette in your photos! would never have thought to shoot in an art gallery

March 17, 2018 / 3:54 pm

Tbf even some of these I notice things I wish I could change but no matter how hard I try I can never seem to retake a photo just the way I want it! The gallery is amazing and a lovely place to shoot. I couldn’t go in the natural world section though, there were so many children everywhere, there would have been a kid in every photo! x

11. March 16, 2018 / 12:33 pm

I love this post. I very rarely take photos of myself because I’m so awkward with posing (plus I’m waaaay too harsh on myself) but even trying to get the *perfect* flatlay or photo for beauty stuff, I always strive for perfection and want to achieve that *perfect* shot. Bloggers work so hard haha!

Katie xx

March 17, 2018 / 3:57 pm

Thank you. Seriously, I should post some of the ones I have where people are staring at me a bit too closely and I’m trying to be all artistic with my poses and I just look like the biggest awkward mess!! Your photos are always gorgeous and I think flatlays are so hard to get right as there’s nothing you can hide. xx

12. March 16, 2018 / 9:34 pm

I loved this post. It’s so easy to assume that life is perfect when we look at everyone else’s photos and it’s so easy to portray as well!